Modern technology has rendered us multiple options to maintain and strengthen the family bonds even if we are not with our family during a trip to foreign countries. For example, we can interact with our family with texts and video calls with our family no matter where we are. We can share our moments with our loved ones on social media, delivering the happiness and sharing our memory with them. When they are concerned about our safety, we can absolutely share our location with them, relieving their unease. This post will recommend some ways to share our location with our family when we are not with them. Just store it up if you are on business frequently!
Way 1: Google Maps
As Location sharing is the built-in function in Google Maps, there is no need for us to download additional app for location sharing. We can choose to share both current and real time location with our loved ones. Let’s first start with sharing current location on Android:
- Firstly, enter Google Maps, and the app will locate cell phone location automatically if we have activated location service on our Android
- A pin will mark your location and the location name and address will pop up at the bottom of the screen
- Tab the location name and address
- Tap “Share Place” (Note: there might be a bit different for us to share our location on Google Maps if we are using Apple—Tap ”Share“ and then choose an app to send the location link or tap “Copy” to copy the link to our clipboard for you to paste anywhere as we like）
- Choose the recipient we want to share the location with and hit” Send”. Google Maps will then send a message or an email link to the person. Once clicking into the link, our current location can be viewed by the recipient.
Google Maps also allows us to share our current location on PC and Mac, here is a step-by-step instruction:
- Visit https://www.google.com/maps
- Click the icon with three horizontal lines at the top-left corner ( Just next to the search bar) Click on or search for a location
- Tab “Location sharing”
- Click “Copy link” to copy the location link to our clipboard.
- Then paste the link in an email, message or other social media platforms
Therefore, we can conclude that Google Maps can share our current location with our family in several steps at no costs. In addition to it, we can also share real-time location with our family on Google Maps on our mobile devices:
- Open Google Maps and tap your profile photo in the top right corner of the screen
- Select “Location Sharing” in the list that pops up on the screen
- Set a time duration between one and 12 hours or one full day Select a time duration between one and 12 hours or one full day.
- Choose the contact(s) you wish to share with
- After you make your selections, hit Share.
Way 2: Whatsapp
It must be common for us to chat with our family via Whatsapp for its convenience and interactivity. We can surely share our location with family on Whatsapp. Let’s have a closer look.
Share our location on an iPhone:
- Open Whatsapp on our iPhone
- Tap “Chats” and then choose the conversation with your family member
- Click in the plus icon at the bottom left corner
- Tab “Location”
- Select whether to share your location always or “Only While Using the App.”
- Choose “Send Your Current Location” or “Share Live Location.” (Note: sharing a current location means that your family can view your location with a pin, while a real-time location sharing enables them to view your location in real time within the time duration you choose.)
Share our location on Android:
- Enter Whatsapp on your Android device
- Tab “Chats”, and then the chat with the one we plan to share location with
- Tap on the paperclip icon at the bottom of the screen
- Choose the “Location” icon
- Choose “Send Your Current Location” or “Share Live Location”
- Tab” Send”
Next time, when we are chatting with our family on Whatsapp, just try to share our location with family within the above clicks!
The growing demands for location sharing and advanced technology has paved the way for the emergence of the mobile locator for locating sharing and tracking, which will a more professional helper in our family life. We have selected some of the reliable mobile locaters for your family location sharing and tracking:
Tool 1: OrbitU
OrbitU is devoted to helping us stay connected with our family members, letting us know the location of our loved ones all the time. Additionally, it provides us with extra features for helping us have a peaceful mind if we have teenager driver. Some distinct features can contain:
- Tracking real-time whereabouts of our family
- Location records for us to retrace the footprint of our loved ones
- Notify us when our family member goes from place to place
- Send off a SOS alert with your location to Circle members, emergency contacts, and to the police
- Give you a detailed driving report including speed monitoring, crash details, safeguarding our family on the road
With OrbitU, it is easy for you to check and connect with your family, giving you peace of mind. The steps for you to activate OrbitU:
- Click download the install the app on your mobile device
- Click in the SMS message sent to your mobile phone and download the app
- Open the OrbitU and keep your family secure
Tool 2: GeoZilla
GeoZilla is another good tool for us to keep in touch with our family, keeping our family safe. Major features are as followed:
- Track and share location with your family privately, viewing their routine route through the location history
- Crash detection and drive safety, helping you get instant help in emergency and lowering the risks of speeding and distracted driving
- A GPS tracker can work with the GPS, making it easier for us to track and find some small items in a few seconds
Additionally, a more outstanding feature of GeoZilla lie in it can pair with our Android watch, which enables us to share location with our family on our watch. A “Sleep Mode” can be available to us if we want to suspend the GPS service, but it can still track our real-time location when we are moving. Here will list a step-by-step instruction:
- Set up your own account of Geozilla
- Download and install the app
- Log in and safeguard your family with the app
In a nutshell, a peaceful mind can be within a few clicks with the aegis of modern technology. Next time, when you are on a foreign trip, don’t forget to share our location with our family, delivering our happiness and secure their peace of mind!